Monday, May 7, 2012

Shopping Hell

So, I've written parts of a number of blogs, so I'll just include bits of them here. 

5/4/12
I just went to my idea of shopping Hell.  But it was kind of pleasant...and superbly stressful.  I am on this tour because why the hell not?  The Couchsurfer I'm staying with recommended I use this tour guide (Mehar) who is super pleasant, sweet and great.  He actually picked me up from the airport with a sign with my name on it, though he and his 15 year old sister were super late doing so.  Then, since his sister is straight from the countryside, she was quite confused by moving sidewalks, and I had to hold her hand as we walked onto of off of them.  I've gotten to know Mehar's brother and sister over the past few days--and am in fact shiring a sleeping mat with his sister who almost took one of my malaria pills this morning.  (The sleeping mat is basically a thin futon cushion.)  Anyway, Mehar set up an all day tour for me for $20 to explore all over Delhi.  The problem is my driver speaks very little English--as does his budddy who is accompanying us and basically just smiling at me since he seems to know zero English.  So we went to several places--great places really--the Lotus Temple that looks like Sydney's Opera House, Hucumayta's Tomb, India Gate (where a man followed me around the ENTIRE time asking to pay him to take my photo), and now I'm at this super touristy restaurant I was basically forced into where three other tables are full.  Yes, I'm alone.  The other tables consist of two Japanese teenagers, a German couple with a guide, and an Indian family.  I'm curious as to why Coca-Cola makes a cola that tastes like it is basically Shasta cola but is named Thums Up (yes, thumbs without a "b").  Coca-Cola, are you aware of this?  I've seen you elsewhere in Delhi, but you insist on also selling this other gross version.  What's up with that?  Who put some Cola in a bottle with a crappy logo and couldn't spell "thumb"?  I'm confused. 

So I didn't finish that blog, but other higlights of that day/days before:
* A 12 year old girl was so sweetly excited to speak to me in English at Lotus Temple.  She followed me around and absolutely asked me every question she could think of.  I found it so endearing. 
* I have watched my host uncle play the Tumbas (like bongo drums) and his friend play this accordion (a little piano with an accordian-type back) just for me, which has been awkward but pleasant. 
* I keep wanting to photo bomb other peoples' photos (which just means making silly faces in the background of strangers' photos), since A) I'm by myself, and B) people keep taking my photo anyway.
* The first American I met was this kid who was maybe 20 and told me he had spent the past 5 weeks in an Ashram.  All I could think of was how he was the last person to ever become Enlightened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment