Monday, May 21, 2012

5/8/12 Pushkar

5/8/12

Today I'm in Pushkar for the day.  I arrived yesterday evening, got off of the bus, and wandered through town with my large backpack in tow, asking "Sun-N-Moon?" about every two blocks to find my hotel.  The hotel is beautiful and quiet with the ten or so rooms opening out onto a courtyard.  The electricity went out just after I arrived, and I chatted with the Indian family who runs the hotel and some British kids on their gap year before calling it an early night. 

Today I went to inquire about a train ticket to Jaiselmer, but was told I could not go until tomorrow, which is fine.  Pushkar is so much calmer than Jaipur or super ridiculously busy Delhi, and a welcome break.  Right now I'm sitting on the other side of town from my hotel, listening to the noises that float in with the cool breeze from the other side of the holy lake, which was said to have been created when Brahma dropped a lotus flower.  The lake is surrounded by cement steps that feed into it or the bathing ghats where pilgrims bathe.  There are hundreds of temples in Pushkar, as it is a major Hindu pilgrimage town, though many are quite new.  The only other person in this abandoned restaurant is a man snoring lightly during his nap.  I'm debating where to have lunch, but regardless of where I go, it will be vegetarian and contain no eggs, as is the rule in Pushkar.  I was told yesterday that if I want a beer, I must tell the woman who runs the hotel in the morning, and can get it in the evening for double the price of the same Indian beer in other towns.  So thank you, Pushkar, for continuing my unintentional cleanse...

No comments:

Post a Comment