Friday, June 1, 2012

Last Day of Sola Travel


5/16/12

Oh, another terribly long day on a train.  I haven’t even taken out my sunglasses today, and it is now 7pm.  I got on this train 24 hours ago.  And I started in a sleeper train, perched high above a curious family, sneezing my way up to the 3AC Class.  I am so so so glad I did.  I took a Benadryl Allergy and slept until 9 this morning, cozily snuggling my small backpack.  I am sharing my berth with a nice Japanese guy who was so badly ripped off repeatedly at the beginning of his trip that he now has 500 Rupees ($10) per day left.  I finished another book, and have no idea how I have been killing the past four hours.  I keep going into the bathroom/door area, where I can watch the world go by as the wind whips at my face.  Why are the doors open back there?  I have no clue. 

I’ll be in Kolkata today, where the rest of my class should be waiting, assuming the Air India strikes that began a few days after my arrival in India have not prevented it.  I keep buying chai on the train, as it is delicious, warm, and filing even in 2 ounce servings.  The train also makes for interesting bathroom excursions, as it is a hole that opens right onto the tracks, flogged by textured foot size grips to keep your balance, along with a low bar to help you from falling if the train turns or stops suddenly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment